Homemade Bread Recipe
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 1/2 – 6 1/2 cups flour
- butter for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer dissolve the yeast in the warm water with a pinch of sugar. When the yeast is bubbly and foamy add the sugar salt oil and 4 cups flour and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining flour ½ cup at a time to form a soft smooth dough. The dough should stick just slightly to your finger when touched but not be overly sticky. Knead 5-7 minutes until smooth then roll into a ball.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl turn over once to coat the top with oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise one hour or until doubled.
- When the dough has risen punch it down gently and divide in half. Roll each half of the dough into a long rectangle about 8 inches wide. Roll the dough up starting at the short edge to form a cylinder that is approximately 8 inches wide. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the dough seam side down into lightly greased bread pans and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise one hour or until the dough is ½ – 1 inch higher than the top of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Bake 30-35 minutes or the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Brush with melted butter if desired. Remove to a cooling rack and cool before slicing. MAKES 2 LOAVES.
This article and recipe adapted from this site