Easy General Tso Chicken
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thighs boneless skinless in 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
General Tso Sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low-sodium recommended
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Serving – optional
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- green onion minced
- Into a large ziplock bag add the cubed chicken and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Seal and shake until coated. Set aside.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce hoisin sauce rice vinegar water sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat. Add the oil and wait 30-60 seconds until it s very hot.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan shaking off excess cornstarch as you go. If you have more than fits in one layer save half for a second batch.
- Fry for 3-5 minutes turning from time to time to brown evenly. Remove to a plate and reserve.
- Remove all fat except for a tablespoon then add in the ginger garlic and red pepper flakes. Fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and mix thoroughly with the ginger-garlic.
- Pour in the sauce mixture and stir constantly until it s just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon less than one minute.
- Remove from heat serve immediately and enjoy!
This article and recipe adapted from this site