Best Pineapple Upside-down Donuts
IngredientsFor the batter:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk (I used Vanilla Almond Milk but Cow s Milk will work fine)
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg at room temperature
For the pineapples:
- 6 slices pineapple from a can patted dry sliced in half (see note below)
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Generously grease a doughnut pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk pineapple juice vanilla melted butter and egg. Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture – being careful not to over mix! Set aside.
- Using paper towels gently pat the pineapple slices dry; set aside. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of brown sugar in each of the donut molds; break it up evenly around the mold then place the pineapple over the sugar.
- Spoon batter into prepared donut pan (over the pineapple slices); each mold should be filled 3/4 of the way full; you will have leftover batter. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the donuts spring back when lightly pressed. Allow doughnuts to cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire wrack to cool for a few more minutes. Serve warm or set aside until needed.
This article and recipe adapted from this site